Thursday, August 13, 2009

Preface

So!

Beginning yesterday, I have begun what will hopefully be an extended experiment on polyphasic sleep.  All my life, I've been angry that I had to lose eight hours of every day to unconsciousness.  Don't get me wrong - I like sleep.  I like it fine.  But at this point in life, I need more hours in the day; I need more time to live.  

I say 'experiment', and I mean it in all but the most clinical sense of the word, in that my particular attempt at this is different from any other attempt I'm aware of, in several ways.

1) Most polyphasers who go back to monophasic sleep do so because of their work schedule.  I'm doing this /because/ of work.  I work 9-10 hour shifts up to 10 days in a row.  My life, for weeks on end, becomes wake up-go to work-go to sleep-wake up-go to work-go to sleep, and I really cannot stand that feeling.  The majority of the time, all I do is work and sleep, and that just will not do.  I refuse to spend my life marking time waiting to die.

2) My job is fairly physically demanding.  It's a far cry from a truly athletic lifestyle, of course, but it is notably more physically challenging than the lives of most polyphasers I've read about (typically students or people who work from home).  It'll be interesting to see if polyphasic sleep allows my body to relax enough so I can function from day to day.

3) Let's not overlook the fact that I /have/ a full-time job, with hours I don't get to set.  I can't just take a surprise nap in the middle of the day if I feel like it (probably actually a good thing, from what I've read).

4) A lot of people try polyphasic sleep because they want more time to be productive.  I . . . am just not that kind of person.  I'm not hyper-organized and energetic.  I'm curious to see how these personality differences will affect the experience.

5) I have a fairly in-depth background in biofeedback, which I'm hoping will allow me to notice things about the experience other people may have missed in the daze of sleep deprivation.

6) My method is different from that of other people.  Instead of making one huge adjustment, I'll be making several smaller ones over time.  

And I think that about covers it.  I'll give more details tomorrow, particularly on the last point.  Additionally, my boyfriend is a psychologist, so it might be interesting to get his input on apparent changes in my mood and affect over time.  But for now, it actually is time for bed (for once).  So, goodnight, and I'll see you guys in a few hours : )

No comments:

Post a Comment