Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 7

Hey, it's been awhile.

So here's what's gone on in the last week.  On day 3, I was unable to fall asleep for my 7 pm nap.  I continued to lay down for naps at various times throughout the evening, but I never managed to fall asleep until 11.  Then I woke up at 8.  Okay, so 5 hours of sleep isn't enough to let me fall asleep at 7.  It's like I've got a really solid wall between myself and sleep, and I can't sleep unless I can break through it with a large amount of sleep debt.

Obviously the next step would be to only sleep 4 hours a night  That, though, would mean that I would have to go into a full day of work with only 4 hours of sleep and the possibility that I still wouldn't be able to fall asleep that night. I didn't want to risk this on any more than one day, so I waited until the night before the last day of work and stayed up until 4 am this morning.

I still had my alarm set for 8:30, but I popped awake at 8 all on my own.  I felt pretty decent for only four hours of sleep.  Early on in the day, I experienced occasional waves of tiredness, but I think it was more psychological than physical.  By 11 I was going strong.

At 7, despite having only 4 hours of sleep the night before, I still wasn't that tired.  So I laid down anyway, and used a biofeedback technique I thought of.  Generally speaking, in biofeedback, the more senses you can tie into the attempt, the deeper you can reach.  So I focused on seeing and feeling myself slowly drift through this wall into sleep.  I guess the combination of sleep-dep and biofeedback worked, because the next thing I knew, my boyfriend was shaking me awake because it was 8.

I laid on the couch for about fifteen minutes as I slowly came all the way awake, and about fifteen minutes after that I started to feel good.  Like, really good.  After about half an hour, it started to wear off.  I'm still decently awake now, but I'll be ready for my next nap in two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment